Contact us Help centre

Excesses Explained

 What is an excess?

An excess is the part of a claim that you need to pay. 

You can change your excess at any time, but keep in mind any changes to the excess will influence your premiums. The higher the excess, the lower the premium - but remember, if you need to make a claim you'll have to pay the excess you've chosen, so make sure you are comfortable with it. 

Let's say you damaged your car by reversing into a pole and you want to make a claim. The cost to get the damage repaired at the panelbeaters is approximately $2,000 and your excess is $200. This means you must pay the $200 excess and we will contribute the remaining $1800 to the repair costs.


What is an additional excess?

Sometimes a benefit or optional benefit will have an additional excess. The type of car you have may also result in an additional excess.

These additional excesses will apply in addition to any other excesses shown in your certificate of insurance.

Be aware that there are also additional excesses to do with the level of experience of a driver or if they are un-named on the policy. Standard cover is for named drivers over the age of 25.

The additional excesses are as follows:



Named driver under 25 years of age


Un-named experienced driver


Un-named inexperienced driver





Please note: You are considered an inexperienced driver if you have your restricted license or have held your full license for less than two years.  

If you want to check if you are exempt from the international licence additional excess, see here:


What's my excess?

Your standard excess is chosen by you when the policy is set up, and can be changed at a later date if you choose. Excess details can be found in your certificate or under the cover details section of your policy where any additional excesses will also be noted.


One Event - One Excess

If you suffer a loss or damage of your car at the same time as your contents or house through the same accident then we will only charge one excess. In this instance the higher of the excesses applies.

You crash your car into the side of your garage and both car and garage are damaged. Your car excess is $300 and your house excess is $500. We will only charge you one excess, the $500 excess.


Please refer to the applicable policy wording documents for more information:

Comprehensive car policy wording 

Third party car policy wording

Contents policy wording

House policy wording



Still unsure? Fire up a live chat or contact us, we are here to help.


Related Articles:

How to Pay Your Excess



Sorry to hear it didn't help! These articles might
Or speak to one of our team Contact Us
Powered by Zendesk