Contact us Help centre

Third party car basics

Check out car insurance in 60 seconds to get an understanding of car insurance.

What is third party cover?

Third party cover applies to damage that you do to another person's property. It can also provide cover for liability claims. Please note this does not cover your own vehicle.

If you want to have cover that applies to your vehicle, please go to Comprehensive Car Basics

What's my excess?

Your excess is chosen by you. Be aware that there are also additional excesses to do with the level of experience and age of a driver. The more experienced the driver, the lower the additional excess amount.

The additional excesses are as follows:

Named driver under 25 years of age $500
Un-named experienced driver $1,500
Un-named inexperienced driver $1,950
International driver $1,000

Please note: You are considered an inexperienced driver if you have your restricted license or have held your full license for less than two years. 

For more information, go to Excesses Explained.


What benefits are available?

Trade Me Insurance has standard benefits and optional benefits. Standard benefits are included in your policy and optional benefits can be purchased and added to your policy at any time. Full benefit information can be found in the policy wording or on the policy benefits page.


What are your obligations?

It is your responsibility to be aware and understand what your obligations are to ensure you are covered at your time of need. 
To see what your obligations are, read our What are my obligations? and All about honesty- disclosure and declarations articles or check out your policy wording.

This is a summary only. See if this policy is right for you by viewing our policy wording which includes our benefits, terms and conditions.


Still unsure? Fire up a live chat or contact us, we are here to help.


Related Articles

Sorry to hear it didn't help! These articles might
Or speak to one of our team Contact Us
Powered by Zendesk